Where did the $320 per week on food number come from?
When writing the $21 Challenge book we took a sampling of the average grocery spend across the country. This worked out to be around $56 per person excluding toiletries and cleaning products. We then found a government survey which stated that only 70% of the average total food bill was spent at the supermarket. The other 30% was spent on takeaways, buying food and drink at service stations and so on. These statistics brought each person's total average food spend to $80 per week - a total weekly food spend of $320 for a family of four.
The $21 Challenge book was written in 2009. Since then everyone's food bill has increased. Today the average spend on food is probably around $360 per week (we haven't worked that one out exactly!) So, if you did a $21 Challenge today, you will save more than the $300 we claim on the front of the book.
If you have any more questions about the book, please fill in our contact us form and we will do our best to help you.